Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Muppets!!!!!!!!!!!


After months of anticipation, Brian and I saw The Muppet Movie on opening day. I grew up with the muppets. I saw the 1979 Muppet Movie in the theater. My brothers and I had the Muppet Movie soundtrack (on vinyl, of course!) and would act out the songs as a part of our "Programs" we would perform for our parents. I know every word to every song. And of course we watched The Muppet Show every Sunday night at 7:30. We anticipated who the special guest would be and crossed our fingers that Pigs In Space would be featured that night.

With this much muppet history, I had great expectations for the new movie...and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the new Muppet Movie because of the sheer magic of the muppets themselves. Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal and the Electric Mayhem band...all of them make my soul happy.

The new movie wasn't the orginal (what can be??) but it definitely had some redeeming qualities--namely the Muppet Show theme song being sung as well as The Rainbow Connection--which I admit, brought a tear to my eye. There were just enough cameos and I didn't think the humans took over (like they did in some of their other movies; Treasure Island, The Muppet Christmas Carol and the like...)

The undeniable humor of the muppets (puns included!) the consistent message that we need to follow our dreams and that we need our friends to do this makes the muppets, new and old, a heartwarming classic.

Thanks muppets, for always being there for me and for reminding me of this:

Life's like a movie, write your own ending
Keep believing, keep pretending
We've done just what we set out to do.
Thanks to the lovers, the dreamers, and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment