Wednesday, February 29, 2012

#1: A Picture of you that is embarrassing...

This is "Karl Jacobson".
Karl  fits #1 quite well.
Karl appeared in my 5th grade yearbook--I was 11.
I moved to a new school in 5th grade, I got my period (TMI, sorry) and I had to wear a bra for the first time.  (Again, TMI, sorry.)
My mom gave me an "in the kitchen" haircut.
It was amazingly terrible.
I had a lot of trouble making friends and I didn't feel like I fit in at all.
When the yearbook came out I remember being horrified.
Not only was my name Karl--not Kari, but my last name was spelled with an 'o' not an 'e' in Jacobsen.
You can't see it here, but peeking through my favorite baby blue shirt were my bra straps.
Mortifying.
My hair was particularly wavy and terrible.
Awesome.
This picture captures my "missing year". I certainly wasn't Kari Jacobsen in 5th grade. I was some sort of alter ego named Karl.
Karl comes out every now and again when I feel like I have lost myself or I feel misunderstood. 
I have tried over the years to be grateful for Karl because 
Karl reminds  me that sometimes I need to fight to be myself, no matter what I am up against.

4 comments:

  1. Love this so much! You are wonderful.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is my favorite of all the wonderful things you have posted! You should submit this to a women's magazine. Seriously. There is a Karl in all of us, and I know women around the world would love to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cheryl...thanks for your encouragement.
      You are too sweet. xoxo

      Delete