Thursday, February 23, 2012

You say paczki, I say DELISH!

Today I tried paczki  for the first time and let me tell you something...it sorta changed my life. This little sweet treat comes from Poland and my goodness it was good. From the looks of it and from this nice little Wiki description it seems like a run of the mill jelly donut--but it is so. much. more.

A pączek is a deep-fried piece of dough shaped into a flattened sphere and filled with confiture or other sweet filling. Pączki are usually covered with powdered sugar, icing or bits of dried orange zest. A small amount of grain alcohol (traditionally, Spiritus) is added to the dough before cooking; as it evaporates, it prevents the absorption of oil deep into the dough. 

My friend Hannah's finance's mom, Mrs. Lesley,  sent this little delight to them from Michigan and Hannah decided to share it with us at school. Dear Lord! It was delicious! It was  perfectly sweet and sort of dry (in a good way!) and the jelly  inside was just so, so good... I think I better stop. I'm craving more...

Suffice it to say,
thank you, Mrs. Lesley, for providing me with a perfectly sweet miracle today!

1 comment:

  1. I will have to send her a link to your blog. She will be SO happy:)

    ReplyDelete