Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cue the red flags...

For many reasons, I struggle with the idea of church. 
Going to church, the purpose of church and the idiosyncrasies of church. 
I grew up going to church every Sunday and Wednesday and I was deeply entrenched in church life throughout my 20's and early 30's. I have a file cabinet full of crap about church that my therapist can help me with, but she'll be happy to know that I discovered that I am not a lost cause all together.
I connected with and appreciated elements of church that I have been missing.
I found these connections at none other than the local pub.
I've noticed the attraction before, and last night I felt it again.
My Facebook status was: "Finally made it back to church-at Vine Street Pub" and I really wasn't trying to be funny. 
I felt like I was experiencing what I think church could/should be like.
Vine Street is one of those places that 'get it'. 
It is friendly, inviting, nourishing, and it has no pretenses.
It's a place where you can meet new people, share real stories about life and it feels authentic and real. There is no ulterior motive for the conversation and one leaves feeling better than when they arrived. {And not just because of the libations!} 
The thing about Vine Street that I love the most is the inter-generational feel of it. I miss this most about church. There are families with young children, older couples and everything in between. It is a place that welcomes all walks of life--gay, straight, happy, unhappy, professional and pedestrian.
 
Vine Street gives me a sense of belonging and a sense that I am on an even playing field that has been missing from most of my church experiences. 
I know that this probably a crude comparison and I know that I am probably raising more than a few red flags for some of you, but recognizing what I might need in the way of a connected community feels Hopeful and for this, I will raise my glass. 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like the prefect place for me. I love pubs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont think there is anything wrong with this comparison. A church should be all of those things. Our church even does "Theology on Tap" at a local bar every Tuesday night, in the understanding that some people are more comfortable discussing faith outside of the normal service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any sense of community and togetherness is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete