Thursday, October 18, 2018

#birneysavedmylife

I had to say goodbye to my best friend Birney today.
He has been saving my life for 15 1/2 years, and even though he is no longer here physically, I have a sneaky suspicion he will continue to save me.

Birney saved me because he was a witness to everything.
He was a witness to my most vulnerable moments when I thought of myself as alone.
He witnessed the countless times I cried in frustration, anger or fear, and
he held me in those moments without judgment.
He witnessed all of the good, bad and ugly parts of me, and loved me unconditionally.
He also embraced and loved Brian unconditionally and they had a very special bond. Laying on Brian's lap, any chance he could, was his favorite pastime.
We were a family and we are all so very heartbroken.
I wrote this post about my best friend 7 years ago and it really does capture the best that Birney is to me. 
Below is an excerpt from it: 

 If you haven't met Birney, your life is not quite complete, sorry. 
Even the "non-cat-people" agree that Birney is one cool cat.
 (I mean, he smiles! Come on!)
He came into my life randomly, yet really it was an "ordained by a higher power" sort of way. He was a stray kitten that was brought to me the morning of the funeral for Matt.
 {Read this post for further backstory.} 
This is very tragic, I know...I feel a bit naked writing this, but it's how I got him. He was wandering around Sheridan, WY and a friend of Matt's brought him to me. It was illogical and quite ridiculous to bring a pet into my life when I didn't even know what day it was or how I was 
going to take my next breath. 
But there he was. Ready to love me unconditionally and make my life bearable. He moved with me to Denver and I reinvented my life with Birney in it. 
{This post is another good one to read if you want to know more about
 how Birney came into my life.}
Oh, Birney.
Thank you for saving me.
You are, and always will be, a miracle to me and I will always be thankful that we found each other.

We will love you forever. For the rest of our days and even all of the days after that.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kari! This made me cry and smile all at once. They are never gone, Alfonse is still with me everyday.

    ReplyDelete